Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Grit......

....something I'm trying to get more of. It's a funny sort of goal, since I am the only one who will really know if I'm making it happen or not.

Last week was a toughie for me....... lots of good training, but also plenty of moments when I was mentally struggling with focusing on being in the present and fully focusing on the training at hand and just giving it my all.

Physically - a good week, mentally - came up a bit short of what I was hoping for.

Luckily, this is a new week, full of new days with new training and a chance to make it happen all over again.

For my own benefit, here is a list of highlights from the last week of when I was focused and getting it done (never know when I my need to look back on this list in the future to find my GRIT):
  • Transitioning from who made this hill steeper and longer to really just enjoying the ebb and flow of the trail and my body as it transitioned up, over, and down the trails at Hall Ranch. The descent was almost like riding a mountian bike as I looked for my line and flowed through it, up and over any obstacles.
  • The value of the good, tired feeling after a hard run, especially with the promise of a dip in the creek and yummy dinner. This feeling is worth seeking!'
  • The joy of riding with people we haven't ridden with before, especially our friends who just moved to Colorado. Remember, Estes Park is a tourist destination that most get to by car.
  • "Shut up or lead" spoken in earnest to E as he was commenting to the other E about the fact that all of the last X number of cars were white while I was leading our group and trying to not fall over.
  • The importance of good friends. And of seeing them. Either while training or while enjoying good food and drink.
  • The acknowledgment that our Sunday run was tough, and the body was tired, but that in retrospect, we were both ~ 10 bpm lower across the board, at the same pace, compared to the last time we did that workout in March in prep for IM AZ (we are getting more fit, even if it still hurts).
  • When coach J gives us a Sunday swim that is not Masters, I need a time goal and the focus to count 800 m correctly and make my time goal, otherwise I might as well just go sit in the sun and burn my front side.
  • Don't swim at noon. Always wear sunscreen. And put it on the recommended 20-30 min before going outside.
  • Find out more about the Hank the Cowdog books (all 53) that were the focus of this week's sermon at church. And learn to look for the lessons in each activity I do.
  • My back does not hurt! Time, patience, and discipline with stretching, strengthening, and body work (ball and roller) is paying off.....keep it up!
  • Rest days are valuable. Cherish them and try and use them to get extra sleep.
  • Even when technology lets you down (crummy Powertap!) I am strong and can get the power-hill reps done even if the data is marginal. And the resulting graphs can entertain, and provide value even if the averages are useless. Nothing like 3x3x60 s to make a pretty picture.
Until next time.....I'll be working on the grit, starting with tomorrows mile repeats.
-A

...

3 comments:

kerrie said...

well, fwiw, i thought you guys were pretty hard core with your
800s in the pool while i was working on my tan.
if you do happen to find some of this 'grit', remember to share :)!

Marit C-L said...

Hooray for :
-Counting the correct number of lengths/laps for the 800!
-Learning the lesson about sunscreen. (I am deliberately doing a ride on the trainer, as my sunscreen washed off in the pool an hour before I hopped on the bike. Yes, I live in Florida and I still get burned. Ah - the MN heritage!)
-Jumping in the creek! SOunds great!

Unknown said...

ha - and i didn't even hear the comment of shut up or lead! i was too focused on staying with the group on that climb out of Estes. i am going to use that next time :) see you tomorrow for another go at it, or it least for some of it, if we don't do all the hills!