Thursday, July 24, 2008

Setting Goals

So, I (Eric) started writing this in early June, but never finished the post. The reason I started it in the first place was to figure out what my goals are for Canada. Now that we have gotten a lot more of our training done, I can set more realistic time goals. In the end they aren't what's most important (doing everything i can in training and racing to go as fast as possible on race day), but they are helpful to have in my mind. Uncontrollable (weather, injuries, etc.) can have a major impact on the day, but getting through those is part of my main goal.


First off, my IM history
Canada '05

Three weeks before, I sprained my ankle bad (popping sound, major discoloration, swelling, etc.). For the week after the sprain, I believed that my chance for racing was about 0.1%. The next week it rose to 10% and I wasn't sure if we would even make the trip. We ended up making the trip and I got myself to the start line, but my plan was to continually evaluate the ankle and if necessary, quit. The swim was the worst with my ankle being hit about 19 billion times, but I made it to the bike which was pretty good on the ankle. My T2 was 20 minutes as I went to the med tent to get it taped and the run went pretty well considering I had 0 degrees of inflexion with the ankle and you need -6 degrees to run normal. Overall, I was thrilled to finish, but I never had any time goals for the day.



Canada '06

My second IM went horrible during the run due to nutritional mistakes (nutrition in my view is very controllable, but takes making mistakes to really learn). My swim was just slow due to a lack of swimming over the summer. I also wasn't very happy with my bike time as it was only 12 minutes faster than the previous year, but I hadn't biked as much as the previous year. The disappointments from this race made Amber and I realize we needed a coach.



Canada '07

My third went well but pit stops and headwinds on the bike were the uncontrollable events. My swim improved by 8 minutes as I swam regularly starting in April. I dropped 8 minutes off my bike time (16 without the pit stops on the bike), which is some progress but still not satisfied with it. I had my first solid IM run, although not really fast (a few months having my first solid HIM run at Buffalo Springs). Starting the run, I calculated I needed a 3:43 to finish in 11 hours and ran the first half at the exact right pace, but couldn't keep the pace on the way back. I may have been able to finish a few minutes faster if I had taken it more conservatively on the way out, but at least i tried.



Arizona '08

My fourth went well but a flat on the bike (staple in sidewall) and the heat (93 degrees) were uncontrollables. Swim improved another 6 minutes (steady swimming since IM CA). Bike was eight minutes longer then CA last year (flat at AZ took about as much times as the pit stops at CA). Biggest reason was a lack of time on the bike this spring. Maybe too much XC skiing, maybe too crappy weather, but only one century before the race wasn't enough to be strong throughout. Run was 2.5 minutes slower than CA, which given the heat at AZ may be a better effort. Better hydration through the run would have helped, as i zoned out a bit on that on the first lap.



Canada '08

Looking forward to #5, in order to improve my time I know that I need to 1) follow my nutrition plan 2)bike faster 3) run stronger and 4) maintain/improve my swimming.



Swimming

Although swimming is my weakest event, I'm not that motivated to reduce my times significantly. If I was focused on Olympic distance, I'm sure that would change but my potential time gains on the bike and run are much more. Based on this, my training goal is to keep swimming. Come race time, I need to find good feet and stay relaxed. Race goal of 1:09 (minute faster than Arizona)


Biking

Biking has gone pretty well over the last few months as we have done a lot of climbing, racing back in Minnesota, and some long rides in the mountains. I was able to get out even while I was sick (keeping the heartrate low). My main goal in Canada will be to stay hydrated, fueled and not overheated, but I think I can do that and be at 5:30.



Running

My background is rooted in running and I can run pretty fast (at least for an IM athlete), but need to keep getting stronger with my running so I can hold pace for the whole race. Right now, even with missing two of the last three long runs due to being sick and heat exhaustion on the 4th, I feel stronger than last year. My goal is a 3:40. If I make all the times listed with 8 minutes total for transitions, that's a 10:27 overall. A 40 minute or so PR, but that's without pit stops or flats or whatever.

Nutrition
Be consistent. Set a watch alarm.

No comments: