Friday, July 11, 2008

Fast Women

Yesterday Sunny graced us with her presence on our run. Normally, we have a track workout on Thursdays, but A asked our coach (Jared) to include some trail runs/fun for this week since Sunners was going to be in town and he obliged by giving us a 90 min run.

Problem with trail runs around here is deciding which one to run, but we decided on Wednesday to head to Hall Ranch up near Lyons. I was pushing for it due to the promixity to Oskar Blues, a brewpub with tasty food and even better beer (Mountain Sun is still tops on my list, but OB is a close second). Lyons is a nice town set right by the mountains that A and I considered moving to when we started looking for a house, but we decided to stay closer to Boulder as we didn't know where A would end up after graduation. Nicole and Tim DeBoom live or lived in Lyons and Nicole told the CU tri team that she ran Hall a few times a week.

Yesterday turned pretty warm and it was still over 90 when we picked up Sunny to head up north. It was still hot when we got to the trailhead, but there was a little breeze at times. We headed up the trail that mtb bikers aren't allowed on (vast majority of people at Hall) and Sunny and I predicted that we wouldn't see anyone on the whole 4.5 miles of that section. We climb a lot, decend a little and climb some more up to the top. A wasn't feeling great and didn't keep our pace, but we found some great spots to stop and take in the view (and for me to catch my breath).

We made our way to the top (still hot) and took one side of the loop since A and Sunny thought it would be more in the trees. A little bit later Sunny states "I think the otherside might have been the ones with trees", but at least we were getting a net loss in elevation. Sunny and I start counting moutain bikers and see three within the loop.

We then take another trail back to the car that is more technical and see 9 more bikers and 2 horses. Sunny drops me hard on some of the technical sections and I roll my left ankle at one point, which freaked me out more than actually hurt as I sprained my right ankle badly a few years ago. We all make it back to the car and drink the warm water that was in there.

We head back to Lyons and find spot to get to the St. Vrain Creek to cool the legs. I get hungry and we head to dinner at OB. I ordered a TenFidy (10.5% abv, imperial stout) Silo burger that has not one but two types of pork (spicy, shredded pork and bacon) on top of a 1/2 patty. Healthy - no, worth it - yes.

Afterwards, we head towards DQ, but it was already closed. Headed home and crashed.

This morning, we all complained of sore legs, but the run was well worth it.

Looking forward to one of my favorite rides tomorrow, heading up Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park.

Peace Out,
E

1 comment:

kerrie said...

that silo burger sounds like a heart attack on a plate!!! however, the run sounds like fun!
see you later tonight...