Thursday, July 17, 2008

Calling all climbers

E is sick, so our Saturday plans of doing the Mt. Evans Hill Climb (a 28 mi race up a mountain to 14135 ft) are off. It's funny, I was pretty scared about this race...... and now that it is off our calendar I am a little sad. It is a beautiful, challenging, physical and mental test to do this ride in training, but I was not sure how I would do racing it. And now, looking at the maps and photos on the race website, I think I will miss the challenge.

Not the hefty race-fee, though, which is a big reason why I am not doing the race as the solo member of the house even when E is under the weather.

Maybe we'll get a training day in on this mountain sometime in 2008 yet....... In the meanwhile, I'm looking for a few good local riders who want to do some climbing around Boulder this Saturday. I can go by myself, but thought it might be fun to have others along for company.

I'm looking for 3-4 hours total ride time, and am thinking of climbing up Left Hand Canyon either up to Ward or up through Jamestown to do Super Jamestown (all the way to Peak-to-Peak). Either way, I'm planning to descend through the Raymond area to Lyons and then head home via 36, or 75th.

I'm open to suggestions for other routes, too, but want a solid climb of 60-80 min. In coach J's words: "Keep effort strong aerobic. Build ability to climb aerobically. Rpm 70-80." Very open on departure time and meeting place, but I would favor a morning departure to try and get home before it hits 90 + F.

If anyone's interested in joining me, let me know.......

-A

3 comments:

The Original SunnyD said...

You know I would be up for it....Sorry to hear that E is sick!

Guess what...I am coming to watch Canada!

Marit C-L said...

I would SO join you if I lived out there! Happy (solo) training this weekend. Hope that Eric feels better SOON!

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

I'm not dead yet.
Stupid sinus issues have kept me down, but its starting to clear up. Not enough to try to chase Amber tomorrow, but enought that I'll get an easy ride in.
-E