Wednesday, June 18, 2008

BB, training update, and Summer Memories

I meant to post this yesterday evening after we got home from work and training, but we found ourselves in front of the TV watching the end of the NBA finals instead. It was some quality down-time with dinner, chilling with the pets, and the foam roller that we both needed, so it's all good.

I am not really a fan of either the Lakers or the Celtics per say, but Eric and I both like basket ball and we grew up in MN and were only kids when the Timberwolves were formed. We watched as Kevin Garnett joined the team and brought the Wolves out from the bottom-of-the-barrel status they started with. It was enjoyable to watch the 2008 finals and see KG finally win the championships with the Celtics. While we would like him to still be playing for the Wolves, it was becoming apparent that he couldn't achieve his goal of winning the NBA championships by himself, he needed some help, and that likely meant being traded to a new team.

Watching 5 of the games in the Finals this year (at least from the 3rd period on, we always seemed to tune in late, but at the same time), it was clearly apparent that KG was out there, playing well, doing his job, but that that job was to be part of a team. He was not the superstar, standalone player for the Celtics. In fact, I would say that he was not the best player out there in green and white during the series. On the other hand, he IS a big reason why they won. Whenever he was on the court, it seemed he was snagging rebounds both offensively and defensively. Given the opportunity, he'd shoot, and often make his shots, but he was also quick to support his teammates will well timed and well placed passes, accumulating many assists and helping the TEAM achieve their dream.

Last night, after the game, it was apparent that winning the NBA championships was also a BIG dream come true for KG. He was filled with emotion during the final minutes of the game and during the post-game interviews. It was moving yet gratifying to watch the big, TALL man's emotions overwhelm him. KG is a man of integrity and character, on and off the court, and it was neat to witness this milestone in his career.

Congrats to KG and to the rest of the Celtics for playing great ball and truly earning this year's title!



Last night, before BB, Eric and I left work and warmed our legs up as we pedaled through town on our way over to Boulder Canyon. We had a 30-40 min climb up Sugarloaf Rd. on the schedule. I was looking forward to the challenge, and for the chance to explore a "new" road, since it seems like Eric and I have been missing out on some of the local gems (this is one of the benefits of having your coach live where you do, he has been telling us WHERE to ride, not just what type of workouts to do). The picture above is from the top of sugarloaf mountain, near where we were headed.

My happy thoughts ended where the pavement does.....how could I have forgotten that most of the Boulder Creek Path is dirt after it leaves town? It was only 1.25 miles of loose gravel, but that type of surface, along with a few rocks here and there, is one of my biggest fears (my version of lightning). I think it goes back to my younger days, trying to learn to ride a bike when we lived at the end of a dirt road. It did not go well, despite my Dad's (nearly) endless patience as he ran behind me every night for over a year.

Anyways, I got through it yesterday, only dismounted and walked once, and only saw my HR climb by ~10 bpm while riding through this part. Oddly, I think I would have preferred riding on the road for this section, even with its narrow shoulder and fast traffic. The trail was much safer, and any risk of serious injury or death was much, MUCH less, but my brain just couldn't process that difference in risk. My thoughts were stuck somewhere in eeeek, gravel, loose sand, rock, sand, keep pedaling, high cadence, attack that bump up to the bridge, loose gravel, pedestrian, eeeeek and not able to realize that the decision to ride on that path was good for me and healthier than the alternative.

After that, things went very well. We made it up the canyon, with the fast traffic, to the base of our climb. The road surface on Sugarloaf was beautiful: no sand, smooth roads, good pavement, little traffic (and what there was for traffic were courteous drivers). The climb was tough, but actually easier than I had expected (the race flier I found for the hill climb up this sucker claims over 3400 feet of climbing, though we were only doing part of the hill). Near the end of our session, my back started to tighten up again, making it difficult to keep power and cadence in the ranges I was targeting. My averages were still where they should be, and soon we will have better cassettes for this type of work, the 12-25 just wasn't cutting it near the end. It was a beautiful night to be out in the mountains riding your bike, though. Even with the sweat that was sogifying my upper eye lids. No salt in the eyes, thankfully, but I was sweating like a pig.

We turned around at the camel. I am not sure if this is becoming the newest Boulder County fad or what, but we have camels here! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hill-induced mirage since I also saw a guy stop his car, get out and check his mailbox, and then walk over and pick some grass to feed the camel.

On the other hand, I did tell Eric I (pant pant gasp pant) just need (pant pant gasp pant) a minute (pant pant gasp pant) to catch my breath (pant pant gasp pant) before we descend. So maybe I was seeing things.

For all the locals, look for the camel as you approach Sugarloaf mountain, it is on the left as you climb, right before you get to Old Townsite Road. It has eaten all the grass inside the fence, so look for a yard of red-brown dirt with lots of lush grass on the other side of the fence. And maybe a nice man with an old car who has stopped to pull some grass and make friends with the camel.

The descent was fun. I quickly got VERY chilly since I was so wet from climbing, but the fast speeds and endless corners made me quickly forget about comfort as I was forced to focus on the road. I got to lead and I dropped Eric so hard that I had to stop and wait for him to show up around one turn part way down. I was worried that something bad may have happened, and that that could mean me having to reclimb part of the hill to search for the husband. Even with massive amounts of breaking, I reached a top speed of 51.45 mph. I think. The powertap wheel is being weird. I am new to this gizmo, but it is starting to display --- for watts and speed/cadence more and more frequently, and the icon for signal strength disappears when this happens. I'm guessing that the batteries in the hub need to be replaced......any other thoughts?

And for my last topic of the day, we had a nice, easy bike home from work Monday night. As we were cruising on the South Boulder Creek Path near the Cherryvale-Baseline intersection, I looked out over an open field of grass at the mountains bathed in summer evening light and was transported back to our first full summer in Boulder. By now we would have been newly-weds. It was a sweet time. Living was easy, and we were so young! The days were long. We'd wake early, sometimes heading to Scott Carpenter pool for an early morning swim in the sunrise. Long days doing research at grad school were ended with lazy evenings in the park or biking home. The evening light would just make everything glow, it was magical.

There are many things about that time I DO NOT miss (we were renting out somebody's basement and it was dark and kinda depressing. That and you got to shower with spiders on a regular basis and we didn't really have a kitchen), but there are others that simply bring a smile to my lips. I'm not sure I have a favorite time of year (I like them all!) but I do have many fond memories of summer, long days, and magical morning or evening light. I am so in love with my husband and I treasure the memories we have made together, from our first summer as The Rydholms all the way until today.

And right now, I'm enjoying my current favorite time of the year: summer! Here's to lazy dinners on the porch/deck and good, hard training!

-Amber

...

1 comment:

Marit C-L said...

Loose gravel/dirt/stones/pebbles of any kind are NOT fun. There is nothing wrong with having a HEALTHY respect for Mother Nature. :) Again - your rides and workouts sound so wonderful - what a phenominal place to live! And yes, while the college (and in your case grad school) years can be a bit, er, thrifty - there are also some really great times!

Keep up the great training! I hope that your back gets better asap! Hang in there my friend!

Oh - and for the Powertap - contact Saris or Cycleops (if that's what you have). Their tech support is awesome!