Thursday, May 1, 2008

Inch by inch, row by row...

Well, Eric and I took another trip to Denver yesterday to the eye doctor's. Good news! Little by little my vision is getting better. So much so that they decided to not re-float the flap and I get to back down on some of the drops. Both eyes are still inflamed, but on the mend and expected to be fully recovered in due time.

Of course, my first desire is to resume training (or even some semblance of my normal schedule) as soon as I can. I am eager. I am hungry. Again, in due time.

And that time is not now. Maybe next week. The eyes need to heal more, first. We'll see....literally!

At least I am feeling much less frustrated and scared.

The funny thing is that the doctor said that even though it is very unusual to see this kind of inflammation, especially to the extent I have it in my "bad" eye, they did have a number of patients with similar problems a few years back. At that time, the didn't really figure out what was causing the problem, but they did observe that it was affecting people with fair skin, hair and eyes (i.e. those of Nordic or Scandinavian descent). Additionally, they found that those affected often had unusually large swelling responses to bees and even mosquitoes.

That's me!

Issues with mosquitoes have not really been a problem since age 5, but we have pictures at the Farm with Grandma and Grandpa (and great grandma!) where my face is so swollen from mosquito bites that my eyes look barely open. And I still have "issues" with bee and wasp stings....I swell up like a blimp.

In the end, I asked lots of questions, found out lots of useful info, and discovered that I get to go BACK down again on Friday morning for another check up.

At least Eric will not have to take time out of his schedule to come with this time (they said I needed a driver yesterday if they were to re-float, in the end, he was mostly there for moral support since that was not needed). On the bright side, we BOTH got to enjoy the Sauna-like conditions in our car. The heat control is currently stuck on hot, and it was near 80 yesterday! Good Ironman AZ prep, just a little late!

And today, rain/snow pellets and a high around 45 F. Should be good for the garden!

No comments: