Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A break (from work)

"A" here. I am going into my 12th hour at work today, so I'm taking a short break to blog.

At least I had a little bit of a choice, though: come in last night at 11 pm, or come in today at 5am. I am an early bird, so I took the second option. Still meant no swim today (meant to go at lunch, but Eric forgot his suit....I know, I know, like that should really stop him, but work has been busy for me, too, so I didn't press the issue).

Oh, well, we'll get to see Wolfgang tomorrow morning at 7am instead. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Oh, bother...... I must apologize in advance, this may be a boring post. It seems like I haven't had much to say recently.

I go to work. I train. It is windy, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing nearly as inspirational nor thought-provoking as my goggle-post last week....

That was a joke, in case you didn't get it......

OK.

Get excited.

Think.

Something must have gotten the blood flowing lately.

Well...we have had some exciting news lately: We are going to be Auntie Amber and Uncle Eric before the end of the year! My li'l sis just announced that she is pregnant. I guess I maybe should ask her permission before announcing that to the blogging world, but I'm pretty excited and don't want to wait that long to share my joy!

This will be a first for us. I'm still not sure the reality of it has sunk in. And I guess I always thought that my li'lest sis would be the first of us to have kids. Or that all three of us would time it to be pregnant at about the same time so that our kids would have cousins their age.

I grew up with the Worlds Most-Awesomest (if my mom is reading this, I might have just given her a heart attack with my word choice, oops) cousins, all three of us did. There was always someone around to play with on Grandma and Grandpa's Farm (having 17 cousins helped, as did the family with 7 kids....). In the summer we'd be out ALL day swimming in the lake, helping with chores, playing Ultimate Hike-and-Seek or Superior Tag, or catching fire flies.

In the winter it was sledding and bon fires out in the Second Hay Field. Mmmmmmm roasted sausage, orange slices, and chunks of cheese over the open fire. Memories! That, and the one of falling out of the tree by the lake into snow that was so deep I got stuck. Or ice skating and hockey on the lake until dark. Or singing carols in the living room for Christmas, and the basement games of Sardines that we'd play afterwards.

Anyways, Erica's Big News made me stop and think for a minute. And, at least as of now, I know that I want kids of my own. I am not ready yet. Not this year. But soon.

And I need some practice at being an aunt. Any suggestions or advice?

-Amber

4 comments:

The Original SunnyD said...

You could try putting a diaper on Izzy.... Tell her congrats for me, that is awesome...and a bummer you had to work so late. I had a major experiment fail yesterday, and I can't figure out why, so that is my day in a nutshell.

Hope you had a good swim this morning.

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

We might have to put a diaper on Izzy when you come to visit just for our carpet's sake.

kerrie said...

uh oh...i detect major pressure coming over the next year, especially since it's your little sister who has beaten you to getting knocked up, lol...

as for picking the 11:00 or 5:00 option, i think i would have gone with neither.

Marit C-L said...

Kerrie said it best: the pressure is ON for you and Eric to have kids. Eeks! Nate and I are on the permanent "wait and see" list. No desire as of yet.

We've still got 10 or 15 years, I figure.

What about pets? I can't remember if you guys have a small-breed dog or large breed cat. That MAY give you an idea....