Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bonk Mountain

So with Amber's eyes getting better, we went for a hike/run on Sunday that turned bad, very bad for your's truly.

The plan was simple, head up Green Mountain at a good clip and back down. Unfortunately that's where the planning stopped as all we grabbed on the way out the door for nourishment was 1 water bottle for the two of us. Of said water bottle, some leaked out by the time we got to the trailhead, so we started even a bit low.

Upon leaving the car, I felt a bit hungry since breakfast had been three hours before and I realized that we hadn't brought any food. Oh well, I thought, it's only an hour to the top and then its all downhill.

Up we go and I'm feeling pretty good. Amber on the other hand is having leg cramps, but plugging along.

At about 40 minutes in, we get to an intersection that will lead us to the top or back to the car. Feeling more hungry and worried about Amber's legs, I suggest we head down, but she won't consider it.

Up to the top. Had one bad spot where I needed to stop for a few seconds, but otherwise get to the top without incident. At the top, Amber wants to take a picture, while I want to immediately head to the car. She gets the picture, we finish the water, and we start back down the hill while i start to consider whether to go for ice cream at Glacier or a smoothie bowl at Rush.

I go full bonk mode. Not good. Get angry at myself for forgetting food, get angry at Amber for pushing to the top, get angry at the mountain for being a mountain, get angry ... well you get the idea.

I've bonked before, but something new happened this time, my arms and hands got very tingly. At one point, my face even got tingly. Very, very weird. Send Amber and Izzy back to the car since she had one Justin's peanut butter packet there and I plod down the hill.

The steep stuff was the worst as I found my self as the inverse Mt Everest climber in that I had to work at each step forward but it was downhill. Was able to jog/plod my way through the flatter areas. Eventually, made it down most of the way, my hands got less tingly, met Amber, consumed peanut butter, and made it to the car. We ended up going to Rush where I had a Hanna's chocolate covered strawberry bowl.

At some point up the hill, I promised Amber that we could do Green Mtn, Bear Peak, and South Boulder Peak in one trip this summer. If she keeps me to that promise, I'm bringing a whole picnic basket (and making her carry it).

2 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Bonking is NOT fun. Last time I did it was at Camp HTFU in South Carolina. After a 4.5 hour ride and 30 min run - the last 15 minutes of the run were absolute misery. I got very shakey, stopped chatting to my running mate Leslie, and could bareley see straight.

We made it back to the van, and within 5 minutes, I consumed the equivalent of 1500 kcals. It was awful - and even after eating some high sugar stuff, I still felt shakey and awful. Yikes! Want to avoid that situation whenever possible!

Good luck next time! The Justin's Nut Butter packets are WONDERFUL! Thanks again to you guys for sending it along...I can't decide if I love the Almond flavor or regular peanut butter more. :)

kerrie said...

ha ha...i found you. what is up with the hand thing? and what is 'rush'?