Monday, August 11, 2008

Taper is here!

E and I had a good weekend of training and now taper is here. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself this week! I knew we had to get through Saturday's training, and then we leave to drive to Canada next Tuesday and need to start packing everything next weekend, but in between.... hmmmm.

Saturday's ride was longish and fast. The fastest-longest combination I think I have ever done. We rode for just over 5 hours and covered just over 100 miles. Our first stop was at 4 hours, in Hygene, because we needed water (hit the toilets too, but only because we were already stopping).

Nothing too far from what we have been doing lately, but a good solid day by the end. We also set our watches to beep every 15 minutes and then used that schedule for fueling and changing leaders. The "follower" usually tried to dial in what 7 m back looked like and just hold steady.

That worked until right before Hygene, when I got a panic attack for not being able to breathe a full breath (only at a HR above ~150 bpm, and HR was then creeping up, most likely due to slowly accumulating dehydration). It was a strange, scary sensation, and totally new/foreign. It sounds like others might be experiencing something similar, could it be an allergic reaction to something environmental? I'm not really sure what to think about it or if I need to do or change anything. If anyone has any ideas on what this is all about, please share!

After that, E led and I followed for the rest of the ride. Worked great at first, but as we were leaving Hygene we soon started passing other riders who then tried to share E's draft with me. Most were polite and relatively safe, but there were a few scary seconds where one of them tried to pass 4 of us on the right side with no warning, and little moments here and there when you are feeling fatigued, mentally spent, trying to suck onto your hubbie's wheel, and being drafted by someone at least twice your height and weight (I am big at 5' 11" and ~145 lb, but that guy was HUGE!). Good thing I can hold a steady line all day!

We took a bit more time than usual transtioning into our run afterwards (we NEEDED popsicles, all fruit, yum!). I soon realized that I needed more calories (bike was a bit harder than I had judged) so our training goals were realigned for the weather conditions and what our energy levels were. We ended our training for the day on a good note, though.

The rest of the weekend was spend showing AL a few more of our favorite spots in Boulder, spectating a little for the 5430 Long Course triathlon, and getting in an hour swim in the Boulder Rez at the swim beach. It was good to swim open water, but we should have brought wet suits and may need to look for some big motivators for getting back in there and going around, and around, and around, and around.

Then, to celebrate the end of a good month of solid IM training and the start of taper, we spent the rest of the day in the kitchen cleaning cherries, making a cherry pie, and trying new recipes for baked polenta and an herb-roasted chicken.

That, and I started thinking more about what to wear for IM Canada. I think I'm down to my tried-and-true- but-may-make-me-chafe -on-the-run oomph outfit or going retro and racing in my University of Colorado uniform, which I have raced in a lot, but never for more than 70.3. I put pics down below, feel free to vote in the comments for the clothing option, but not on how goofy I look!

-A

No comments: