Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Seeing Stars


They are everywhere!

Yesterday morning on our pre-swim walk, Izzy and I saw Orion rising out of the eastern horizon. In college, MWF were 6 am weights, and I often saw Orion on my walk across town to meet the ski team to pump iron. I hadn't realized that the end of summer was so near, but Orion is telling me otherwise. Many, many memories flooded over me when I noticed his appearance.

As E already noted, we had a tough swim session yesterday morning. I was huffing and puffing. Each set of 200's were on a faster interval (our lane cheated, though, and kept the same interval for the 4 and 3 repeat sets). My legs kept getting heavier and heavier, but I fought hard, held pace, and made every interval. Gold star for me! I then became a heap of tiredness at work, but I was at my desk most of the day, so no worries.

Then later, near the top of Lee Hill Road and Deer Trail, I was seeing stars again. The air gets thin up there, I swear! E still beat me up, but I think I'm getting closer. One last hill climb before IM Canada, and it was a good one.

Our evenings have been filled with chores and watching the Olympics. The chores are just reality, but the Olympics have been awesome, inspiring, star-studded event after event.

And finally, this morning, I made it out of bed, got in another quality walk with Izzy, and then slipped on my new, fancy point 6 socks and did a nice fartlek run with E to work. We saw no stars. We probably earned some, it was a good, fast, expertly executed run. The feet felt light, and I think I may actually survive taper this year. It is starting out well, but may be too soon to say for certain......

2 comments:

kerrie said...

glad you are surviving the taper. remember that it is okay to feel like crap during taper time...in fact, it is good to feel a little sluggish as your body loads up on the carbs not being burned off during training.
when are you guys off?

Amber Rydholm said...

Hey Kerrie! We leave Tuesday after work. Hope to have the car packed Monday night and then just head up north and try to get through most/all of Wyoming Tuesday night. If we can, we'll try and stay with my parents Wed night, then into Penticton on Thursday, probably by noon. I can't wait! I am already seeing Lake Okanogan every time I close my eyes. Soon, soon.....
-A