Thursday, August 7, 2008

Taper In Sight

Hey look!
Just up there, if you look past the 5 hr bike + 1 run on Saturday, do you see that?
I think its taper.
Yep, I'm pretty sure it is.
Sweet.

Don't get me wrong, I love training. As much or more than racing, but yesterday when we started our hour and forty min run, I was still sore from Sunday's long run (although the hill climbing on the bike on Tuesday helped, gotta love it when Olde Stage makes your legs feel better). And a taper and race are nice physical and mental rewards for all the hard training.

Although we training hard through the olympic distance tri we did in June, I had my best race in a long time. That leaves you wondering "How much faster could I have gone?", but since it was clearly a B race, I didn't ponder that for long. For Arizona, I was nervous about our bike training and lack of heat acclimatization, but a good summer of riding and warm temperatures (warm sounds so much nicer than hot, so I try to think of 90+ was warm) have cleared those concerns for Canada. I wish that I hadn't gotten sick in mid-July with a cold, but have worked hard enough afterwards to know that it won't affect me race day. So, looking forward to Canada, I'll be rested, well trained, and ready to give it. Race day will present its own challenges, but that's just part of the fun.

Peace out
-E

1 comment:

kerrie said...

yeah - i'm glad you have made it to taper time! isn't that a good feeling...but don't be shy about squeezing some extra miles in for me while you're out there ;)