Saturday, April 12, 2008

An Introduction......Hello!

Hello!

This is Amber Rydholm, the "A" of the "A and E Show." As it is for most of my athletic life, I am sharing this blog with my husband, Eric (the "E"). As we are just starting out in the blogging world, I thought I'd better introduce myself. I'll do my best to keep it brief, because we are racing Ironman Arizona tomorrow and there is still prep work to do, but knowing me, brief might just not be possible......

Well, where to start? I guess back at the beginning is best. I am the oldest of three girls. I was born by the sea in Alaska, moved to Oregon at ~11 months, then on to Taos, NM from age 3 to age 5, and Albuquerque for first grade. We finally settled in Brooklyn Park, MN (a 'burb of Minneapolis) for most of my growing-up years (until the end of 11th grade). For 12th grade my parents moved us north to Carlton, MN, about 40 minutes outside of Duluth. Then I was off to college at Michigan Technological University in Houghton, MI. There I got a degree in Chemical Engineering and NCAA nordic skiing, and it was there that I also met my other half, Mr. Eric (that may sound like a cliche, but we have so many things in common, he really does seem like my twin some days.....but that will have to be it's own post some day).

While at MTU I was also part of the co-op/intern program that had me in school 6 months and working for industry 6 months for a couple of rotations. My first rotation was with Kimberly-Clark Corp. in Neenah, WI. While there, I bought my first road bike and started racing triathlon at the tender age of 20. I thought it would be good summer training for skiing, and keep me out of too much mischief. I met a great group of seasoned triathletes that took me on as a project (charity case?) and proceeded to teach me much of what they knew for triathlon and bike training. I was an innocent sponge, but did a good job of soaking it all in and still recall that summer fondly.

After graduating from MTU, Eric and I headed off to Boulder, CO for grad school. At that time, we knew we liked the life-style and athletic opportunities that Boulder presented, but, I at least, did not realize what a triathlete mecca it was. Grad school took over life (at least mine) but sport continued to provide great friendships and opportunities. I still skied NCAA for CU (University of Colorado) for our first year in Boulder, and we also joining the CU tri team, a club sport. After a few years Eric got his Masters and moved out into the working world while I slugged on, eventually earning my PhD. We are now both gainfully employed in Boulder, and have shifted our athletic focus to Ironman triathlons and longer ski races. Tomorrow's race will be Eric's 4th Ironman race and my 3rd.

My goal for starting this blog (and for sharing it with Eric) is to journal my journey through sport and life. Along the way we will share our adventures in sport and life with all who are willing to read it, but first and foremost, it is our story. I hope my entries can be made with grace and honesty. Either way, it will be the truth as I see it, it will be heartfelt, enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

Marit C-L said...

Welcome Friends!

So happy to read about all of your adventures - way to go!