Monday, April 21, 2008

A's Weekend Update

It was a busy Birthday weekend, filled with much doing, and not so much thinking and contemplation, so this blog entry might be a tad boring.

Friday, I did a quick lunch-time run where I went a bit too hard (for post-ironman, anyway). I never hurt in my legs, but sure was huffing and puffing. I did not expect this since I think of Ironman as long, slow, all day stuff that would build, not destroy and completely obliterate, aerobic capacity. I survived, though, and had a nice long stretch afterwards. And started my post-race sunburn peel, too....ug!

After work, we zipped down to Golden to meet Arvid and Bonnie (father-in-law and his girlfriend) and some old Rydholm neighbors from MN that are now living in Evergreen, Colorado. Dinner was lovely and included a surprise birthday phone call from my sister-in-law, Teresa. We had a nice brief chat that included some sparing for the upcoming Avs-Wild hockey game...I root both ways, but in head-to-head matches, I'm an Avs fan.

Unfortunately, our server never asked if we wanted dessert. Maybe none of the other adults would have said yes, and normally I wouldn't say yes, too, after such a yummy, large meal, but it was my birthday! Eric, sensing my near-tears state, quickly took control out in the parking lot and made for Boulder and the Glacier Ice Cream Shop as fast as our little car could go.

A double-scoop waffle cone later (banana brownie and peanutbutter-blast) and all was well in the world. Both the waffle cone and two scoops were a big upgrade from my "normal" order, but, again, it was my birthday. And not just any birthday, but my 30th. I did learn that gelato has less fat (and lots of different flavor options than the other 50 or so ice creams they offer) so I am already plotting what to order next time....... definitely gelato, though.

Then, back at home, my most-wonderful-husband-ever fixed our dishwasher! I has not functioned since just after the last Ironman (~8 months) and washing all dishes by hand was getting old. Especially with company. Luckily the ~$20 valve was available online AND fixed the problem....much cheaper than a new appliance.

Saturday, I climbed Flagstaff. By bike. For the first time ever. I know, I know, we have lived in Boulder for a long time (more than 5 years) and it wasn't until a week after Ironman and a day after my 30th birthday that I did this climb. Our coash, Jared, was hosting a camp last week and all teh athletes were climbing Flagstaff and then running to the first flatiron. Jared asked if I wanted to join in, and so I said "yes!"

I didn't really know what I was getting into until he started coaching some of the Minnesotans and Canadians to "just keep going.....what ever you do, do NOT get off your bike...." Most of it was steep, but quite ride-able. I even started thinking, this is no worse than Lee Hill, heck, the dirt part of fourmile into Gold Hill and most of Super James past Jamestown steeper than this.....and then I hit the steep stuff.

It was steep. It was sandy after Wed. snow. It hurt, and I wanted to just stop and turn around. But I made it to the top. And I will be back, this one will be part of what we need this summer to get stronger. I do not know my time for the climb. This one was for the finish. Next time I'll set a time standard a bench mark to start whittling away at. And next time I will have non-Ironman-trashed legs.

After the ride I bailed on the run to join up with our family foursome for a hike in Eldorado State Park. We had also never been here before, even though it is right in Boulder, practically. It was a nice hike and a beautiful day. Though it was steep, our MN companions hung in there for a long, hard climb up the north side of the canyon. The views were great! We even saw a train headed to Denver. After a while, we turned around, descended back to the visitors center, and then headed out on a much milder trail. We were watching the rock climbers, enjoying the rock walls and warm sun, and then the winds picked up. This was bad for Eric and his recovering eyes, so we headed back to the car and towards errands and home.

At home, my awesome Splish birthday suit was waiting....thanks Sunny! YOU rock! Then I promptly took a nap, and not by choice, by sheer need. Then dinner, more visiting, and bed......ahhhh!

Sunday I did church (great sermon, as usual), met back up with the rest of the clan at home, headed out to brunch, then off to get the final sizing done on OUR NEW BIKES! I finally got pictures, too, but they are at home on the camera. A few small tweaks were needed, so we didn't bring them home, yet, but they are WONDERFUL. Colorado Multisport did a GREAT job fitting them to us and building them up. Hopefully, I get mine in time to ride a bit before Lasik on Thursday......

After we left COmuSpo, we headed up to elephant rock just inside the base of Boulder canyon to park and hike/walk on the boulder creek trail up to fourmile road. While there, we saw multiple fire trucks head down the canyon with all their sirens on, but didn't think much of it. As we drove back into town, we realized what all the fuss was about, there was a wildfire at Red Rocks and Settler's Park! Our shopping and wandering on Pearl Street was smoky, to say the least, but that didn't keep us from doing happy hour on the patio at Bacaro!

Today, Arvid and Bonnie turn homeward, but the route takes them up through the Black Hills, so the vacation will linger a tad longer. And we will get the laundry - vacuuming - dishes - organization - chores tasks started. It was a good, fun, busy, tiring, beautiful weekend!

Whew!

1 comment:

Arvid said...

Yes, a fun & busy weekend. We were glad Amber and Eric welcomed visitors right after the Ironman and in the midst of Lasik surgery schedules. PS - quest for jacket ended at the Sierra Trading Post on way to Rapid City via brief glances at Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore.