Friday, September 26, 2008

Ahhhhh, Fall!

Fall is here and E and I are gearing up for another fine weekend of training. I am trying to think of fun "date night" ideas for tonight since we have a free day tomorrow and can get started on the training a bit later (i.e. after 7am, when it has warmed up some). So far I have: cook dinner together with my sweety and eat by candle light, sit and chat (by the fire or on our comfy couch) and be happy just to BE, go out for happy hour somewhere..... I am not all that exciting, I know, but some of our best times have been just spending time together, taking the time to do something special, and unwinding for a week of training and work. It is that peacefulness and playfulness that I am hoping to capture tonight. Because it will all change tomorrow when the day gets started.

The main goal of tomorrow is to nail the training. The next two Saturdays have the same kind of format. After a good breakfast (and a little time to enjoy the morning) we'll hit the the pool for a short swim (only 2500 total meters, but some killer splits to try and hit) then do a "hilly" 3-4 hour ride with some good tempo pacing (goal race pace or a little easier), then off to a 90-100 min run with more goal race pacing in the mix.

I am excited for the day to unfold. Weather forecasts are for a beautiful fall day (need to remember sunscreen!). To nail it will take mental focus and good nutrition, but I am excited to get a chance to practice this. I'm also a little nervous, since it is almost like a mini test to see how well we are able to put it all together. These next two Saturdays are like dress rehersals for race day, and I have yet to assemble a half iron-distance race that is even remotely successful. I am ready to see what I can do and have some fun working it and managing the pain and speed that will come with it. I know I can do it, I just haven't yet. On Oct. 18, I'll try again, and after the training we are doing now (and did all summer for IM Canada), I should have a good chance at seeing what my potential is. this past week, my legs and body have been feeling great. The weekday training has been shorter and more intense, but my body is delivering more speed than I have been expecting, and actually feeling "springy" and light.

Anyways, after training is complete, we'll see what we have left for accomplishing projects. It is funny, but every summer since we have been racing Ironmans, we have had to set many things asside. There just hasn't been time around the house to get to everything when we are training the number of hourse that are required during a big month (or more) of training. Somehow, though, now that the training is a bit lighter, I am forgetting all the things that mentally got added to the projects list all summer.

Here is what I remember now: repair the backyard spigot so that it does not leak when on and we can then get the garden drip system on a timer; paint the kitchen and dinning area (one room), insulate the attic with more blown insulation; check the attic for fall nesting activities from any critters, cut dead branches out of the Maple in front; tidy up the shrubs and plants by the sidewalk in front so that it is still passable for the neighbors; any other inside painting: office, loft, guest bedroom, guest bath (this may need more than paint......); get skis ready for winter and racing; organize storage in closets and bathrooms (consolidate, relocate, eliminate, etc.)...... I think we may need to hire some help!

Sunday this week has much lighter training. I'll hit church, we'll knock out our workouts, and then we are hoping to hit the high country and take AL, our roommate, for a hit from Brainard Lake up to Lake Isabelle. It is her last weekend in Boulder before heading back to the midwest, we'll miss her! And the fall colors should be GREAT up there this weekend! Any extra time can be spend on projects (maybe something simpler like muffin baking) and possible getting ready for dinner with Eric, Maria, and little Lucas.

Whew! Should be fun!

-A


...

2 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Ooohhh - I LOVE baking, especially after a great weekend of training when you can actually eat what you've created. Yum! Sounds like the training is really solid - no doubt you'll nail the half!

kerrie said...

when are you going to take some time off? you are making me very tired :)
i like muffins too(hint hint)