Sunday, April 18, 2010

Haystack Time Trial

Yesterday was the Haystack Time Trial. Our cycling team, GS Boulder Cycling - Trek, hosted the race. This meant we got to race AND volunteer. Volunteering was harder (always is, it seems). E and I were working registration. E worked a split shift because his race started at 12:34. I raced in the morning and worked in the afternoon. Registration was busy, but was a great volunteer job.

The race went well or me. I started out hard after a good warm-up. So hard, in fact, that the rear wheel (disk) skipped a few times as I was charging off the line and getting up to speed. I'm pretty sure that is not what you want to do.... Anyways, I quickly settled in and just tried to hammer the whole thing.

This year the course was shortened due to road work (a bridge was out, not negotiable course change!) and the part chopped off was a gradual uphill. So we were doing 12.1 miles, with a decent negative elevation difference. The course is usually a box, this year it was mostly 3 sides of that box. Going East is the part where you drop down a few hills, but this was also the portion with a headwind this year, tempering the pace some. Luckily, for me, the rain held off until my race was finished (the team time trial races were a sloppy mess, but everyone seemed to have fun and most stayed safe). I rode well and posted the fastest time for my category, I won!

Then it was on to volunteering. That went well too.

Now, my mind is still at registration, though. It should be sleeping! Usually I am a great sleeper, but tonight all I want to do is help people get their race numbers.... Might have something to do with the 6-8 servings of coffee (I didn't realize it was that much until now, I was just trying to get warm post-race, but we had ~16 oz at home, then 2-3 more 16 oz at the race. Wheeeee!). I think I'll shut down now and try for a bit more sleep, I want a good go at the bbrbrb on tap for today.

Train safe, and happy Sunday!
Amber




No comments: